Angel Food Cake
It’s innocent like an angel. It just sits on the counter cooling…yet, this cake makes the entire house smell like sweet angel kisses. Loves Baby Soft and Fresh Sugar Cookies can’t hold a candle to the fragrant aroma this cake creates. One of the simplest cakes to make it is also the most versatile! Like a bundt cake this cake requires a special pan – Angel Food Cake Pan. They can be purchased almost anywhere and are relatively inexpensive.
Angel Food Cake originates in the 1800s and is a unique variation of the traditional English Sponge. It is believed that this cake was so popular in the US because it could be served several ways: in a gelatin, with glaze and with fresh berries. We will be bringing all these recipes to the blog for you to enjoy!
- 11 eggs, whites only (you may use carton whites)
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Take a sifter and sift flour, cream of tartar, powdered sugar, and salt together. Repeat 4 or 5 times until powdery and silky.
- Beat the egg whites in a stand mixer til they form a stiff froth.
- Gradually, take the sifted ingredients and gently fold until batter is formed. (Paddle attachment on low speed)
- Put your Angel Food Pan aside and do not grease it. Once mixed this cake needs to be put in the oven and baked.
- Set the oven to 300°F and set the timer for 45 minutes.
- Pour into dry ungreased pan.
- Cut through batter with a knife to break any large air bubbles in the batter.
- Check on the cake at 40 minutes. If it springs back it is ready! If it doesn’t, then bake for additional minutes needed.
- Remove from oven to cool. ,
BAKERS TIP: Turn pan upside down and rest on three coffee mugs to balance. Do this until cake is completely cooled and your cake will end up being beautiful.
HINT: Want a perfect crusted cake? Do not open the oven door to check until the cake has been in at least 15 minutes.
Variations: Add flavorings like almond, lemon, rose or violet to batter to create a delightfully light confection.